Build system for KDE4

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Tue Jun 14 04:11:44 BST 2005

On 13 June 2005 22:23, David Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 13 June 2005 05:01 am, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > Or more likely, that it's based on 'make' and sh, which every unix
> > platform has installed by debault.
>
> This is a big advantage which shouldn't be discounted too quickly. Make
> and bourne shell are two nearly universal programming tools, and one
> could reasonable expect most (unix) developers to be familiar with
> them. On the other hand, much fewer developers are familar with Python
> or other  high level scripting languages.

Most new Unix developers know neither. (I speak from experience that I
remember -- vaguely, it's true -- from 10-12 years ago.) Yet, python can be
learned in _hours_. Make and sh, I _still_ learn them after 10 years
(especially make). True, I'm not the cream of developers, but no matter how
much it would be prefered for KDE to get the cream, life says that it's much
more probable the most new developers will be like me.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org