Build system for KDE4

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Tue Jun 14 03:23:04 BST 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 05:01 am, Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> Or more likely, that it's based on 'make' and sh, which every unix
> platform has installed by debault.

This is a big advantage which shouldn't be discounted too quickly. Make
and bourne shell are two nearly universal programming tools, and one
could reasonable expect most (unix) developers to be familiar with
them. On the other hand, much fewer developers are familar with Python
or other  high level scripting languages.

I don't want to detract from any solutions using Python or other
language, but we must make sure we don't create too steep of a learning
curve for developers who don't want to sit down and learn a new
language just to get their C++ application installed.

--
David Johnson