Is copyright text needed?

George Wright gwright at kde.org
Sun Jun 12 11:53:35 BST 2005

On Saturday 11 June 2005 17:27, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Does GPL need to have the typical
> "(c) 1997-2004, The Foo developers"
> in the text that appers in the aboutApp menu -> License agreement?
> I think it is not, but other developer i've been speaking says it is.

If I remember correctly KDE policy is such that you can't put "The Foo
Developers" in the copyright notice anymore, but instead put the individual
developer names.

To quote Waldo on the matter: 'Although I understand the practical reasons for
wanting to use phrases like "The KMessedWords Developers" it really creates a
lot of legal pitfals because there is no defined legal entity named "The
KMessedWords Developers" and in the worst case a court may define such entity
on your behalf with implications that may not be in your own best interest.'.

--
George Wright, http://www.gwright.org.uk
KDE Developer - http://www.kde.org