SUBMISSION: New Library for kdesupport: indexlib

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 11 23:46:51 BST 2005

On Saturday 11 June 2005 07:32, Richard Dale wrote:
> Ok fair enough. The most popular binding is probably python, and maybe that
> is the hardest to build.

OK, I'm trying to build python and the make process wouldn't even running,
giving me a Python traceback:

kde-cvs at broadway python $ make
mkdir sip
mkdir: cannot create directory `sip': File exists
make: [sipdone] Error 1 (ignored)
export builddir=`pwd` ; \
cd /home/kde-cvs/kdesvn/build/kdebindings/python/sip ; \
export QTDIR=/home/kde-cvs/kdesvn/build/qt-copy/ ; \
/usr/bin/python configure.py -b /home/kde-cvs/kde/bin
-d /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages -e `echo -I/usr/include/python2.3 | sed
s/-I//` -l qt-mt -v /home/kde-cvs/kde/share/sip/ -t "$builddir/sip"
INCDIR_QT=/home/kde-cvs/kdesvn/build/qt-copy/include
This is SIP 4.1.1 for Python 2.3.5 on linux2.
The SIP code generator will be installed in /home/kde-cvs/kde/bin.
The SIP module will be installed in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages.
The SIP header file will be installed in /usr/include/python2.3.
The default directory to install .sip files in
is /home/kde-cvs/kde/share/sip/.
The build directory is /home/kde-cvs/kdesvn/build/kdebindings/python/sip.
Qt v3.3.4 free edition is being used.
The Qt header files are in /home/kde-cvs/kdesvn/build/qt-copy/include.
The qt-mt Qt library is in /home/kde-cvs/kdesvn/build/qt-copy//lib.
Qt's default platform/compiler configuration will be used.
Creating /home/kde-cvs/kdesvn/build/kdebindings/python/sip/sipconfig.py...
Creating top level Makefile...
An internal error occured.  Please report all the output from the program,
including the following traceback, to support at riverbankcomputing.co.uk.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "configure.py", line 875, in ?
    main(sys.argv)
  File "configure.py", line 866, in main
    create_makefiles()
  File "configure.py", line 707, in create_makefiles
    builddir = opt_sipbuilddir
TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'srcdir'
make: *** [sipdone] Error 1

It turns out that configure.py was trying to use the already-installed
system-wide sip (which is older and incompatible) instead of the sip and
sipconfig.py in the kdebindings directory.

Doing PYTHONPATH=. make made it work, and it's still compiling so I assume we
might have success. :-)

Looking at the Makefile.am, the prepqt: and prepkde: targets explicitly set
PYTHONPATH, but the sipdone: target that they both depend on don't.  There
should probably be a export PYTHONPATH= added to that target as well.

I'll post here (or open a bug) if I find another hangup in /python.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne