SUBMISSION: New Library for kdesupport: indexlib

Luís Pedro Coelho luis at luispedro.org
Thu Jun 9 15:30:58 BST 2005

On Thursday 09 June 2005 10:56, David Faure wrote:
> It has no Qt dependency, right?

Right, no Qt dependency.

> > It introduces a dependency on boost (http://www.boost.org), though the
> > dependency is only half as damaging as it seems since if it doesn't find
> > boost, it doesn't build but taglib, for example, continues to get built.
> > The dependency is a compile-time header-only dependency.
>
> This is the first time KDE would depend on boost, I'm not sure if everyone
> will be happy with yet-another-dependency (is boost even packaged by most
> distributors at the moment)?

I checked. Fedora seems to include boost. Neither suse nor mandriva seem to
include it by default, but there are packages available.

> boost is usually mostly template stuff - can't you copy the stuff you need
> (assuming there isn't too much of it) into indexlib?

I tried that. The problem is that boost is very intertwined. Pull one header
and it is very difficult to not pull the whole thing in (about 24Mb!). The
best I can do is provide a downloadable package with the headers only (The
dependency is compile-time only: just the headers are needed).

I was making indexlib available before with a copy of boost, but it was a
bzip2ed file so it didn't matter as much (still, boost was much much bigger
than my code).

I do include a configure check for it which disables indexlib from compilation
if boost isn't found.

bye,
--
luispedro