SUBMISSION: New Library for kdesupport: indexlib

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 10:56:03 BST 2005

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 13:33, Luís Pedro Coelho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been working on a kmail patch (details:
> http://luispedro.org/software/index) which adds support for full text
> indexing. I have an indexing library separate from the kmail patch, but kmail
> is the only app using it (although it might be possible for other apps to use
> it, of course). Therefore, and following Ingo's request, I think kdesupport
> might be a good place to keep this library.

It has no Qt dependency, right?

> It introduces a dependency on boost (http://www.boost.org), though the
> dependency is only half as damaging as it seems since if it doesn't find
> boost, it doesn't build but taglib, for example, continues to get built. The
> dependency is a compile-time header-only dependency.

This is the first time KDE would depend on boost, I'm not sure if everyone will
be happy with yet-another-dependency (is boost even packaged by most distributors
at the moment)?
boost is usually mostly template stuff - can't you copy the stuff you need
(assuming there isn't too much of it) into indexlib? Of course if lots of places
in KDE start to rely on boost we would reconsider this, but for now...

> I have kept these files in svn control for some time. Is there a way to keep
> the history (even if the dates are all messed up, the log might be worth
> keeping)?

I was told that it's not possible.