crystal icons to hicolour for external applications

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jun 7 02:44:51 BST 2005

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 07:58:45PM +0100, Richard Smith wrote:
>
>>On Monday 06 June 2005 16:56, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>>
>>>Should KDE applications not released with the main KDE (KOffice,
>>>extragear and everything outside KDE SVN) install icons to hicolour?
>>>
>>>This would be incase KDE changes its default icon theme from Crystal.
>>>Applications inside KDE would be fine because we can rename those
>>>along with the KDE schedule but applications outside KDE's release
>>>schedule would find themselves without any icons if the user installed
>>>a KDE version that had a new icon theme as the default one.
>>
>>Could we instead install the crystal icons as crystal, and do some
>>automake/unsermake magic to automatically create a symlink pointing at the
>>crystal icon if the corresponding hicolor icon doesn't exist?
>

> Maybe, but it wouldn't achieve anything over just installing in
> hicolour, and it would be move complex.

That should be obvious.  The situation you have now with KOffice is that
the Crystal icons are installed as HiColor and if you already have
installed HiColor app icons for KOffice:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=24415

And then you update KOffice, your HiColor app icons get overwritten with
Crystal style app icons.

There is only one good solution for this.  KDE should fully support
HiColor (unthemed) icons.  The application should install the Crystal
style icons as "crystalsvg".

The best solution for the HiColor icons would be to also install HiColor
icons as "hicolor".  In the case of KOffice apps, the icons are
available at the above link or:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/kde/Koffice-icons/ko-app-hi.tar.bz2

Any system that installs Crystal style icons as "hicolor" must not
overwrite existing icons.  OTOH, if HiColor icons are missing, then
something needs to be done about that.

In many cases, apps are missing HiColor icons because the HiColor icons
have been renamed CrystalSVG and are installed as "crystalsvg".  This
needs to be corrected.  HiColor icons should not be installed as
"crystalsvg".

--
JRT