[kde-artists] Re: move crystal icons to hicolour (moving to kde-artists)

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jun 7 00:01:05 BST 2005

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:38:05PM -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>HiColor icons should be installed as "hicolor".
>

> There is no such thing as a "hicolor icon", unlike kdeclassic or
> crystal it's not an artistic style, any style of icon can go in there.

Yes, and NO!  A HiColor icon is an unthemed icon.  So we know what
HiColor is not.  Therefore, Crystal style is not HiColor because Crystal
style is strongly themed.

But I really think that we do know what HiColor *is*.  KDE 2 style icons
are HiColor (But this does not mean that HiColor icons have to be KDE 2
style).  The unthemed icons that come with non-KDE applications are
HiColor.  HiColor icons should have a normal tonal range and color
palate (like KDE 2 icons and unthemed application icons).

In the case of Crystal style, it is their tonal range and color palate
that make them incompatible with the HiColor style.  I think that in
many cases, "uncrystallized" icons can be used as HiColor.  Some Crystal
icons have too much blue for this to work and they would need more work
to qualify as HiColor.

--
JRT