KDE 4 and Opie 2

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Sun Jun 5 20:07:57 BST 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 10:40 pm, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> Hi,
> now that both KDE and Opie have started a Q 4.x port with API cleanups in
> the process, I think it's a good idea to think about making it easier to
> move an application between desktop boxes and embedded devices - by making
> the APIs more interoperable and possibly having a common base library
> containing the functions needed in both projects (such as KConfig/OConfig,
> KProcess/OProcess [unless we decide to use QProcess],
> KLibLoader/OPluginLoader,
> KListView/OListView, ...)
>
> It's quite important to have a (better) answer to M$ .NET devices and
> GPE...
I take it you haven't actually tried to use GPE. :)

> Any thought on this?

There are the microkde sources already to help this along (tiny-kate uses
these). These should be maintained and updated.

Opie is based on Qtopia, and IMHO Opie should maintain compatibility with
Qtopia devices.
I think we in Opie should make a library out of the microkde sources.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Trolltech Qtopia Community Manager