Image viewer for KDE4 (Re: KView for KDE4?)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jun 3 09:47:14 BST 2005

On Wednesday 01 of June 2005 16:45, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> Carsten Pfeiffer is/was the maintainer for Kuickshow. And I haven't seen
> him mainting his app lately.
>
> I'd like to see an application moved from extragear to kdegraphics that has
> a KPart for showing the image embedded in Konqueror. Gwenview and ShowImg
> are both good candidates.

 Yeah, let's have a my-app-is-the-best flamewar :). Currently, if I'm not
mistaken, we have:

- khtmlimage, in kdelibs, very simple, only KPart
- kview, in kdegraphics, unmaintained according to this thread, both app and
KPart, no thumbnails
- kuickshow, in kdegraphics, unmaintained as well, only app, no KPart
- gwenview, in extragear, both app and KPart
- showimg, in extragear, both app and KPart
- pixieplus, in nonbeta, seems to be dead again, only app

 There are also digikam and kimdaba in extragear, but they probably don't
qualify, since they're image databases rather than viewers (at least I have
no idea how to browse e.g. /opt/kde3/share/icons with them).

 So I guess it would make sense to dump the kdegraphics ones and move one of
the extragear apps there (some people don't even consider extragear apps to
be "real" KDE, e.g. #93611 got reopened only because the person didn't feel
like installing something more than just KDE).

 The question will be, of course, which one to choose. I pointed out this
discussion to the Gwenview maintainer and he said he would love to see
Gwenview becoming the default KDE viewer, but I guess the other candidates
would say the same. What should be the criteria for choosing? Even if we
don't choose now, it would be at least good to have such a list, so that the
app developers can improve the parts where they currently lack.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org