XDG Menus GNOME vs. KDE

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jun 2 13:56:51 BST 2005

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
<SNIP>
> Or, the existing path could be [for example]:
>
>     /etc/xdg.<desktop>/menus
>
> and the existing environment variable XDG_CONFIG_DIRS or the desktop's
> default could be set accordingly.

Having received a little advice from an XDG type.  I think that the
above is probably the way to go at least for now.

This means, and it was suggested, that we add this to the configure
script's parameters:

	--xdgdir=DIR

so that for KDE I could set it to:

	--xdgdir=/etc/xdg.kde3

It is not sufficient to use: "--sysconfdir=DIR" since this only changes
the location of: "etc" and it is ONLY the xdg stuff that we want to
install in a DeskTop specific directory.

It would be best if KDE then used the "xdgdir" as the default location
for xdg.

Perhaps using: "xdg.kde3" should be the default.

--
JRT