can't run konsole - pty problems ?

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Sat Jul 30 23:06:10 BST 2005

Hi,

I just installed KDE 3.5 libs+base (I was running KDE 3.4 before), and now I
can no longer run konsole, as it gives the following error:

Konsole is unable to open a PTY (pseudo teletype). It is likely that this is
due to an incorrect configuration of the PTY devices. Konsole needs to have
read/write access to the PTY devices.

BTW: I'm running as root.

xterm runs fine and and "tty" gives e.g. /dev/pts/49
so I assume PTY works as expected.
(I also checked my kernel and I have PTY_Unix98 activated, but not old style
BSD PTY)
Was there any major change in this area between 3.4 and 3.5 ?
Any hints how to solve this ?

Thanks a lot.
--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

       Some operating systems are called 'user friendly',
             Linux however is 'expert friendly'.