KSimon is on kdereview

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Wed Jul 27 13:40:21 BST 2005

> > In main.cpp use (c) rather then the non-ascii copyright symbol.
>
> Why?

I guess that comments have to be both in ASCII and English. I guess that
English is obvious enough :) Now, you never know if some compilers won't
bluntly reject some non-ASCII range characters. And the widespread
non-adoption of APL might be an indicator that the least common denominator
should be applied to the source code. That doesn't mean that everyone should
use trigraphs, but still non-ASCII stuff in comments is bad.

It's very easy to mess them up. Say if you work on a couple different
projects, and the authors didn't agree (as they typically don't) on using one
common encoding. Most good source editors can be set to use one default
encoding, and that encoding can be changed per-window, but it's a royal pain
to always manually set ~/project1/blah.c to utf-8 while ~/project2/foo.c is
iso8859-1. Etc.

Cheers, Kuba