X-KDE-IsAlso=text/plain

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Tue Jul 26 22:48:55 BST 2005

On Tuesday 26 July 2005 22:18, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 July 2005 22:47, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > If your goal is to open text files, then I suppose that it is why
> > X-KDE-Text was created (by the Kate developers if I remember well).
>
> BY Waldo on my request IIRC. ;-)
>
> > In any case, if a mime type has not a X-KDE-Text but is text-based,
> > then this property should be added to that mime type.
> >
> > Also X-KDE-.Text is also part of the mime type database of
> > freedesktop.org, so if we are switching to this database in KDE4, we
> > should be careful that we would not have control anymore of what mime
> > type "is also" another mime type.
>
> So this means X-KDE-Text is not deprecated and has different functiona
> than X-KDE-IsAlso? I though that the latter deprecates the former, thus
> my idea to change the mimetypes. If not, I will change the code in
> KDevelop to not rely on isAlso when checking if a file is text or not.

Personally I think that these are not the same functions. We did not define
the mime types (but IANA did), so we should try not to change their meaning
either (even if this is not always easy).

As for X-KDE-Text being deprecated, sorry, if there was such a discussion, I
was not aware of it.

Have a nice day!