i18n bug?

Nicolas Goutte nicolasg at snafu.de
Tue Jul 12 14:54:49 BST 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 09:13, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > Well, there you go. No libintl.cpp hash function changing until those
> > problems are solved. (GNU gettext has no support for context at all?
> > That's surprising).
>
> It has. As far as I understand it we could use vanilla xgettext if we
> would use i18n("_: context\nstring") in code.

That is not what I would call support. That is just doing directly what KDE
does internally.

Doing so would mean to drop all variants of i18n and I18N_NOOP. So that is
clearly not source-compatible.

And from the transltors' point of view, it is not good either, as it keeps the
\n as special separator.

Have a nice day!