i18n bug?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jul 11 22:30:54 BST 2005

Nicolas Goutte wrote:
>> AFAICS there is no version number difference between the two versions.
>> (The minor version 1 is used for something else; in my case I got
>> revision==0 from both gettext tools).
>
>That is bad. So there must be some different support in gettext for it.
>(What I do not understand is why this problem is only with gettext
> 0.14.x, as the new hash code is already in gettext 0.13.x.)

IIUC, if we wanted to support both versions, all we'd have to do is
compute the hash again, if the conditions are met:

- at least one byte was >= 0x80
- there was no match for the original search

Given that 99.9% of our strings are in English and contain ASCII only, the
first condition will very rarely be met. The only slowdown would be
caused by the testing for the high bit on each byte, in order to
determine if there's any >= 0x80.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.