Display of system users: Selecting the face

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jul 10 00:00:33 BST 2005

On Saturday 09 July 2005 14:58, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 02:38:14PM +0200, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
wrote:
> > > any non-root. if the image is public, it is visible. that simple.
> >
> > Hm. What could a user do who would like to hide his $HOME but make
> > his own face available?
>
> he can store the really private data in a private/ subdir of his
> $HOME. $HOME must be publicly executable for public_html/, .plan &
> .project to be accessible anyway.

Maybe on your system. On our system the $HOMEs of most users are only
exported via NFS to those machines those people usually use. And, of
course, $HOME isn't publicly executable. public_html? .plan? .project?
C'mon. Which company will allow home directories which are accessible
(executable) by everybody?

Regards,
Ingo