Display of system users: Selecting the face

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Jul 7 20:40:04 BST 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 06:16:39PM +0200, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2005 11:58, schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
> > On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 03:22:53AM +0200, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > This could be done by downscaling from one given picture with the
> > > largest size needed, like 140x140 or 300x300.
> >
> > no way this is going to work:
> > - slow.
>
> Another (additional) solution would be to do the scaling once (when adding the
> face) and save the results to disc.

this is what is happening now. well, only for the face.icons, actually,
as the faces are practically unsupported. sure, it would make sense to
offer a down-scaled version of the image selected as the face for the
icon - as long as it is possible (and recommended) to set the icon
separately ...

> > > Enabling users to provide their own face as a file in their home dir
> > > works with display managers. They usually are run with superuser rights
> > > (or have some helper demons which are), so they can access all files.
> >
> > while kdm currently has code that setuids to the owner of the image, a
> > comment (i mean, _a comment_ - in _my_ code!! :) clearly indicates that it
> > is supposed to run as nobody.

> > actually, i could/should change this right away - no need for the
> > entire greeter to run as nobody for this.

actually, i did just after the post ...

> > ergo, inaccessible image -> no image - without exceptions
>
> I do not really get what you say here? Go with nobody or don't?

any non-root. if the image is public, it is visible. that simple.

?

> > > User given faces might be used if the files are readable to other user
> > > and allowed to be used.
> > > In fact we rip out the controlling of faces from the display manager
> >
> > yes, but consider the distinction between the *Admin* and *User*
> > variants.
>
> Sure. While I miss to see the need for UserOnly ;)

an admin might want to play a bit without completely destroying the old
config. for the same reason EnableAutoLogin=false exists, even though an
empty AutoLoginUser means the same.