Display of system users: Selecting the face

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Thu Jul 7 10:17:11 BST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2005 06:45, schrieb James Richard Tyrer:
> Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Two picture sizes are supported:
> > * 48x48 icon: named $LOGINNAME.face.icon in global dir, .face.icon in
> > $HOME * 300x300 image: named $LOGINNAME.face in global dir, .icon in
> > $HOME Format should be anything loadable by Imlib and Qt, usually is jpg
> > or png. The small icon is used as user symbol. The image is "used only as
> > a fallback and is scaled down, but in the future it might be displayed
> > full-size in the logo area or a tooltip." (from kdebase/kdm/config.def)
> >
> > Special support for systems with management by LDAP etc. is unknown to
> > me.

> > -------------
> > 1. Size:
>
> I hate to bring you bad news, but the images in
> $KDEDIR//share/apps/kdm/pics/users are not all 48x48 :-(
>
> I also find 60x60 and 64x64.

No real problem right now, KDM (better the face chooser in the control center)
eats a lot and munchs it to it's needs:

	QSize ns( 48, 48 );
	if (p.size() != ns)
		p = p.convertDepth( 32 ).smoothScale( ns, QImage::ScaleMin );

Not too nice but works.

Still if using faces as icons and faces are such symbolic images we might want
to have prerendered images in different sizes like the real icons (unless
they are available as svgs :).

Regards
Friedrich