[RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jul 5 01:44:54 BST 2005

Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Sunday 03 July 2005 13:02, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>What is wrong with:
>>
>>	system:/ -> media:/ -> home:/
>

> Maybe because home:/ isn't a single physical slab of media for the majority of
> our users. ;)
>
> I don't think system:/ -> home:/ is so bad myself.  As far as "HOME" being
> UNIX baggage, I would like to disagree on that as well.  In fact I'd guess
> that more users are familiar with the concept thanks to Windows's "My
> Documents" folder than thanks to UNIX.

UNIX $HOME is NOT "My Documents".  Isn't My Documents located:

	C :\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\My Documents

So, on Windows, "My Documents is where I think it should be:

	/home/<user_name>/My Documents

Actually, I think that we could do better with: "My Files":

	$HOME -> My Files

since a user would probably want to add sub-folders and one of these
would probably be: "My Documents".  These all need to be somewhere and
it is best not to have them in $HOME with all the administration and
configuration files.  But, adding these additional folders would be up
to the user -- the default would be just to have a "Files" folder
corresponding to "My Documents"

So I am suggesting a "documents:/" I/O slave to point to: "My Files"
which would be similar to Windows.

But, please :-) drop the "My".

--
JRT