[RFC] One ioslave to rule them all...

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Jul 3 04:29:20 BST 2005

Kévin Ottens wrote:
> [...]
> may wonder "why hiding the unixian file hierarchy??? and push use of
> system:/???".
> The answer is simply that for a desktop user this unix file hierarchy is an
> implementation detail.
>
> So, the current status of what I've done is exactly this : if you start
> browsing using system:/ you can stay in this virtual hierarchy and do all
> your daily work using it (as a desktop user, not a sysadmin).
>
> So the user could use only this, but some entry point to the unix filesystem
> still remain, in particular the shortcuts to the home directory...
>
> Where I'd like to go is the following : replace $HOME with home:/$USER
> everywhere, this way the user will be "on the right track" by default (in the
> system:/ hierarchy).
>
> Of course this would raise some issues on interoperability mainly because
> there's no consensus about the available VFS protocols between desktops. I
> currently see two problems in this area (I'll use media:/ as example since
> it's older and more known, but everything I'll present is true with home:/ as
> well) :
>
> 1) Opening a file in the system:/ (media:/) hierarchy.
> When opening a file with an application, the application is launched thanks to
> its desktop file, and %u is replaced with the file URL (a media:/ URL for
> example). It'll work flawlessly with most KDE applications since they support
> KIO. But, some of them don't really support KIO completely (Kaffeine for
> example because it uses xine which only support some protocols like http and
> file). Moreover, non-KDE applications know nothing about media:/ URLs!
>
> Then two things have been introduced:
> - KIO::NetAccess::mostLocalURL() which allows KDE applications to resolve an
> URL to a file:/ URL if needed (and if possible).
> - X-KDE-Protocols key in desktop files, which allows to restrict the set of
> supported protocols for an applications. Anything not present in this set is
> automatically resolved to file:/ URLs if possible before launching the
> application.
>
> This way, we keep the compatibility with most applications, and KDE
> applications are able to have more control on the process. I then consider
> this issue as solved, the real solution would be of course to ensure that any
> non-KDE application could deal with any KDE URL but that's definitely not
> feasible currently, it would require a common VFS across all desktops,
> something that we won't have before a long time IMO.
>
> 2) Drag and Dropping a file from the system:/ (media:/) hierarchy.
> It's the same kind of issue than opening a file. The main difference being
> that the application is already running, so the only counter-measure that can
> apply is KIO::NetAccess::mostLocalURL(), then only KDE applications can
> resolve the URLs to file:/ URLs... I've find no real way to make it work for
> non-KDE applications. Suggestions are welcome!

One thing which the user doesn't need is: "Home".  It should be replaced
with: "Documents" although I think that it could use a better name (I
call mine "USR Home").  There is a lot of junk in the $HOME directory
that a user doesn't need to access except when doing administration
tasks and the fact that much if it is in 'hidden' files and directories
doesn't really change that.

The user's default Working Directory (currently referred to as the
"Documents path") should be a subdirectory of his $HOME folder.  The
user might choose to have his "Documents path" be $HOME (this is the
current default), but it should still not be referred to as $HOME since
this will cause problems for users that don't use the default.

If you have your "Documents" directory contain ONLY directories, this
would work quite well.  You don't want to have it function as: "My
Documents" but rather as the base directory for various document
folders.  So, it has a directory: "Documents" ("My Documents" ;-|) which
is why I said that it needs a better name.

I would add: "Applications" since it is just the Menu.

I would keep: "Settings" since some users prefer it to the Control Center.

I also think that what is displayed in: "Storage Media" could use some
work.  I have:

     B:
     CD-ROM
     Zip

Which are fine.

AND SEVENTEEN HD partitions!  Users don't need that.  Even I don't need
that since I can't remember which is which without reading my" "fstab".
  Since all of the HD partitions are supposed to be mounted in the file
system, isn't it enough to have one HD icon for the "/" and one for
$HOME?  Yes, $HOME is OK here since you do need it from time to time.

I don't see even a dozen icons as too many in "system:/" so there is
room to add more if they are important.

I also think that the Home icon on the DeskTop should point to the
directory selected in the "Documents path" setting and should be called
something else.  Calling it "Documents" is OK but perhaps "Files" (My
Files :-|) or something else would be better -- it is probably going to
contain a subdirectory "Documents" as mine does.

> Now I'm pondering on what to do :
> a) Replacing $HOME with home:/$USER right now?
> b) Replacing $HOME with home:/$USER for KDE 4 only?
> c) Give up the whole idea?
> d) Something else?
>
> Of course I tend to think I should apply a), but I would consider b)
> acceptable whereas I really dislike c). Of course, I'm open to any
> interesting "d)" proposal.
>
> Any opinions? advices?

So in specific answer to your question, I would suggest "d".  I don't
see that you need to have: "home:/" at all and you do need to have:
"documents:/".  And, yes this should find the "Documents path"
directories of the users in a group that was the group owner of the
user's "Documents path" directory.

If the user leaves the current default for "Documents path" as $HOME,
this doesn't make any difference at all, but if he changes it, then it
makes a lot of difference.

--
JRT