accessibility misfeatures

Gunnar Schmi Dt gunnar at schmi-dt.de
Fri Jan 28 23:35:07 GMT 2005

Hello,

On Saturday 29 January 2005 00:15, Anders Lund wrote:
> On Friday 28 January 2005 22:15, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> > I think the new suggested dialog is clear enough not to confuse
> > people. If bug with the focus stealing prevention is also fixed, then
> > I hope we can stop blocking the gestures and move the switching-off
> > default to kpersonlizer.
> >
> > Any objections to this compromise?
>
> The new dialog is OK for me, I don't mind turning the features of once.
> Did you consider using KMessageBox with the 'don't ask again' checkbox?

Yes, I considered using it. Basically it has two important drawbacks:

1. With the use of a KMessageBox I cannot ensure that the message gets
opened as the top-most window (which I think is important in this case)

2. The don't ask again-checkbox is somehow confusing:

Clicking "No" and "don't ask again" will leave the AccessX-features as they
are and somehow disable the gestures. If the user has accidently switched
an AccessX-feature on and does this when disabling the feature again it
probably is not what he want.

Clicking "Yes" and "don't ask again" will lead to the state where the
AccessX features are always changed without a confirmation. Again we want
to be sure here that this is what the user wants.

> And, there should be a way to renable the question.

That is why I will also add a small modification to the Accessibility KCM
that allows the user to do exactly that.

Gunnar Schmi Dt
--
Co-maintainer of the KDE Accessibility Project
Maintainer of the kdeaccessibility package