accessibility misfeatures

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Fri Jan 28 21:15:41 GMT 2005

Am Freitag, 28. Januar 2005 10:56 schrieb Gunnar Schmi Dt:
> > KPersonalizer is the tool to enable accessibility features

My plan was to add accessibility customization to KDE 3.4, but I am not sure I
manage to do this before the freeze. The big problem is making kpersonalizer
itself usable to handicapped users.

I will try to find the time to add a check for accessibility related keyboard
settings, so KControl can switch off the keyboard gestures by default as
suggested by Gunnar.

> > - it really shouldn't be default.

The accessibility features should be off by default, I agree. But an
accessible way to switch them on must be provided, and this is what the
keyboard gestures are about.

This is why the keyboard gestures are on by default both in GNOME and (AFAIK)
Windows as well - and I object to blocking the accessible way to enable the
accessibility settings if we can block the gestures in kpersonalizer instead.

BTW, the games that require the use of the Shift key will run onto the same
problem when started in GNOME. And completely blocking the gestures by
default will lead to inconsistencies whenever a GNOME user who is using the
AccessX features starts KDE and suddenly finds no accessible way to turn them
on.

> I am currently working on changing the dialog that pops up when a gesture
> was used (I will attach a preview of the new dialog), so maybe we might
> switch the default again to on (as it is both under Gnome and Windows).

I think the new suggested dialog is clear enough not to confuse people. If bug
with the focus stealing prevention is also fixed, then I hope we can stop
blocking the gestures and move the switching-off default to kpersonlizer.

Any objections to this compromise?

Olaf