continued: Common-VFS proposal

Gary L. Greene Jr. greeneg at arklinux.org
Sun Jan 23 23:43:51 GMT 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 5:40 pm, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I proposed the following a while back:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xdg/2003-September/002456.html
>
> I think it's more feasible than any sort of "one true API" approach.
>
> Havoc

This approach by far is the most sane option, since KDE's kio is a core
technology to the entire desktop. Instead of a bridge, more of a shared
back-end. Which really, is what Aaron and others were saying: make the
backend of the vfs layer use the same file formats, etc. and then work your
way up the stack, instead of the other way around and generally pissing off
users and developers with a hugh change overnight.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel

Developer and Project Lead for the Ark Linux Project
 check out http://www.arklinux.org/ for more info.
 Also http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~greeneg/
EMAIL : greeneg at arklinux.com