sqlite in kdelibs

Mike Richardson mike at quaking.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 17:27:09 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 15:00, ian geiser wrote:
> This is insane.  Why the heck do we need SQLite in KDE libs when its built
> in to Qt SQL?

Based on my experience with Rekall, and haveing looked at the Qt SQL classes
(unless they have been radically extended) then if you are writing a specific
purpose app that *knows* what sort of database server it is talking to, then
the Qt SQL classes are probably fine.

But if you want to write anything more generic (either, a general purpose app
like Kexi or Rekall; or an app that can be reasonably database server
independent) then the Qt SQL classes are pretty well useless, since they do
not expose anything like enough information about the database server.

As an exercise: try to write an app using the Qt SQL classes which can insert
a row into a table and then retrieve the server-generated primary key for
that row, without coding any knowledge about, or tests for, what database
server the app is talking to.

Regards
Mike
www.rekallrevealed.org