Translation of \\foo\bar links into smb://foo/bar links

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Tue Jan 18 13:26:05 GMT 2005

El Martes 18 Enero 2005 12:55, David Faure escribió:
> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 12:39, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> > >
> > > It makes sense for kfile too, but not in emails. KMail currently
> > > doesn't highlight \\server\share entries in emails. If it did, it
> > > could just as well construct a smb:// URL. Emails in HTML should
> > > contain file://, which will be converted when clicked.
> > >
> > > My point is: I don't think KURL is the right place for that. Those
> > > things aren't URLs and aren't filenames either. Next, we'll want to
> > > convert //server/share/ to smb:// as well, whereas that's a
> > > completely valid path.
> >
> > Does the 'smb://' url work for you? If I try typing that in Konqueror
> > location bar, I get a listing of '/', while if I type 'smb:/' I get a
> > list of the shared directories of my local lan. Maybe someone
> > substitution is messing things up.
>
> smb:// is invalid, you need to give it a host after it.

I wrote the above because I read here

http://ietfreport.isoc.org/idref/draft-crhertel-smb-url/

which seems to be a draft rfc about smb urls, that 'smb://' should return
the list of shared newsgroups.
Check chapetr 4:

The SMB URI provides syntax that indicates requests for subsets of
the browse list.  In particular, the form:

      smb://

represents a request for the list of all known workgroups, while the
form:

etc.

Maybe I have been reading the wrong document, and if it is that way it's all
right. But as there has been all the fuss over the file:/// url stuff,
maybe it would be good to standardize uris globally.

Luciano
--
Luciano Montanaro

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo
                                                          - Enoch Root