Is smb:// kio slave completely broken? (was: Translation of \\foo\bar links into smb://foo/bar links)

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Jan 18 12:51:38 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 11:55, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 12:39, Luciano Montanaro wrote:

> > Does the 'smb://' url work for you? If I try typing that in Konqueror
> > location bar, I get a listing of '/', while if I type 'smb:/' I get a list
> > of the shared directories of my local lan. Maybe someone substitution is
> > messing things up.
>
> smb:// is invalid, you need to give it a host after it.

How can you get a "list of hosts" then?

Anyway, for me it doesnt work as it should be, even not with
smb://username@locahost. I get the password dialog, but it doesnt
accept, and instead re-displays the intitial password dialog (after
a 10 second pause). There is no log message going into log.smbd,
even though I had increased debug level to 3.

I know for sure that it isnt Samba itself, since the commandline
"smbclient -L localhost" lists all shares and the command
"smbclient //localhost/username -Uusername" asks the password and
lets me in after typing it..... (it also then does log very
verbosely into the log.smbd).

So I am asking myself if the smb kio slave ever even attempts to
conatact smbd at all, given the fact that smbd doesnt log anything...

I'm going to compile smb4k this evening to see if *that* works....

(Samba 3.0.10 and libsmbclient 3.0.10; KDE HEAD as from last night)

Cheers,
Kurt