(semi-) recent patch to lt-main.sh broke stuff

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Mon Jan 17 00:39:17 GMT 2005

Scott Wheeler wrote:
>A while back there was a commit to lt-main to make it set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

That was my doing.

I now regret ever taking a look at libtool.

> This breaks since it sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to $rpath
> contains /usr/lib which may or may not contain versions of libraries
> (i.e. Qt) that are different from those being used by the KDE install.
> In my case I have my distro-provided Qt 3.something in /usr/lib and my
> one used for development in /opt/qt-copy.  I can't run binaries built
> against the latter with the former.  Stuff no worky.  Even in the case
> that they would run it would be less than desirable to not have
> $KDEDIR/lib and $QTDIR/lib take precedence.
>
>I'm attaching the local patch that I have that reverts this -- I'll
> leave it to the admin/ folks to fight out a solution.  :-)

I do not have an opinion on the patch. The only thing I can say is that
this will revert to what the script was before. If it's better or not, I
can't say.

What would be better is if we found a variable better than $rpath. I
cannot understand how libtool can produce the correct linking if $rpath
is wrong.

In fact, I have given up understanding libtool. In my opinion, it's a hack
that has grown too big.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.