KNewStuff

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sun Jan 16 14:43:31 GMT 2005

Hi,
I don't know if this is the correct list for knewstuff, but I have a few
suggestions for it, in order to make it more flexible.

The background is that I have started using KNewStuff/GHNS for Kate, so far
for downloading file templates. But I see a lot of potential for Kate, for
example for highlight files and various plugin data files (Meta DTDs for the
XML plugin, snippet files etc.)

First, it allways looks in the application configuration, and the groups it
looks in can't be set. It would be nicer if the configuration object could be
set in the KNewStuff object or through a API method.
If an application have more than one type of files that can be downloaded, the
current storage of the version data could clash, I suggest that it is
associated with the resource type.

Second, I would like to have a way to call KNewStuff::upload with KNS::Entry
object, allowing the application to prefill the upload dialog. This would
make a lot of sense for files where the meta data is partially contained in
the file it self, such as kates highlight files, which contains author,
version, name and more that could be used.

Third, I consider using KNewStuff to offer automated updating of kates
highlight files, and I wonder if having a geeneric functionality for checking
for new versions of files in the library would be a good idea.

I looked in the source, but the flow seems not to be designed with that sort
of flexability in mind, since the dialogs involved calls the method to
initiate the next step in the upload process.

So my question is if the maintainers of KNewStuff are interrested in having
the above features added, if so I'll be happy to work on it.

-anders

--
www: http://alweb.dk
jabber: anderslund at jabber.dk