accessibility misfeatures

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Sat Jan 8 15:32:07 GMT 2005

On Saturday 08 January 2005 16:02, Gunnar Schmi Dt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For those of you that do not know the features that can be enabled by
> keyboard gestures I will give a short description:
>
> Sticky Keys: Usefull if you cannot press two keys simultaneously. Basicly
> the modifier keys work like lock keys. (Keyboard gesture: press Shift 5
> consecutive times)
>
> Slow keys: Usefull if you have shivery fingers. Here you need to press each
> key a certain time before it gets accepted.  (Keyboard gesture: press
> Shift for about 8 seconds)
>
> Mouse Keys: You can control your mouse with the keyboard. (Keyboard
> gesture: depends on your keyboard layout, often it ie Shift+Num Lock)
>
> Bounce keys: Also usefull if you have shivery fingers. Here a key is
> blocked a certain time after you have released it. In order to press it
> again, wait until it is not blocked anymore.  (Keyboard gesture: none that
> I know about.)
>
> Both these features and their gestures are defined by X. You often refer to
> them as AccessX features.

I completely understand the usefullness of these features. I just wish I could
find a way to disable them, because i find myself sitting with the shift key
pressed, with no intention to enable those.

[...]
> > No means for turning it off completely is offered. No matter which
> > checkboxes I check there, I may accidentially enable those features.
> > [...]
>
> You can prevent that by disabling the checkbox "Use gestures to activate
> the above features".

I have disabled that, but still holding down the shift key enables slow keys
after some beeping. So either there is a bug on my system or in the X or kde
code.

> > In my opinion it should be possible to prevent that, and even they tried
> > to make it hard to toggle those features by accident, they should be
> > entirely disabled as default. Those who need them will know to enable
> > them I'm sure.
>
> Those who need some of the AccessX features do not necessarily know the way
> of starting the KDE Control Center, choosing the
> Regional&Accessibility/Accessibility tab and finding the features there.
> Even if they know that way it might be hard for them to do that because
> they need these features in order to do that.
>
> On the other hand those who do not need these features are can deactivate
> it without problems.

Ok, I can accept that.

> Maybe we could add a button "Start the Accessibility KCM" in the dialog,
> though.

Or a button to immediately toggle the feature in question?

-anders
--
www: http://alweb.dk
jabber: anderslund at jabber.dk