QPrinter/KPrinter default resolution

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jan 7 16:28:48 GMT 2005

 Hello,

 QPrinter/KPrinter default to QPrinter::ScreenResolution as the printer mode,
and KPrinter's setUsePrinterResolution() defaults to false. This leads to
using relatively low resolution when printing, which is especially visible
with images.

 I'd like to suggest defaulting to setUsePrinterResolution() being true, and
printer mode being QPrinter::HighResolution. Alternatively (for KDE4
only :-/ ), removing the default value for the printer mode, so that the app
developer must choose and will know about this, and having using printer
resolution as another argument for ctor, or making it another printer mode.
This alternative would mean apps for KDE3.4 would have to be checked and
changed manually, like in http://bugs.kde.org/91644 .

 Would there be any reasons to default to such low dpi values like
QPrinter/KPrinter currently do? I can think of images in image viewers being
printer smaller with higher dpi, but those usually have adjusting the image
size anyway. Would this also affect e.g. text editors?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org