[RFC] Security and Features in KPDF

Michael Brade brade at kde.org
Tue Jan 4 20:20:19 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 00:55, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> > No, I don't think that's ok because many users will not have enough
> > relevant knowledge to decide what to do when confronted with such dialog,
> > "kjots" and "rm -rf" are equally cryptic to many.
>
> Ok, but we can't help these kind of users anyway... when they read in a
> web forum
>
>   Optimization Tips for Linux
>
>   To get more space on you hard disk under linux just type in the
>   following commands:
>     su
>     <type in your secret password>
>     rm -Rf /
>
> then they will do it. It doesn't matter if this information is part of a
> web forum or part of a PDF file. If the user doesn't understand what he
> is doing he shouldn't do it.
I'm all for the feature, but mind you, a user even does the things he doesn't
understand. Example:

<Cthon98> hey, if you type in your pw, it will show as stars
<Cthon98> ********* see!
<AzureDiamond> hunter2
<AzureDiamond> doesnt look like stars to me
<Cthon98> <AzureDiamond> *******
<Cthon98> thats what I see
<AzureDiamond> oh, really?
<Cthon98> Absolutely
<AzureDiamond> you can go hunter2 my hunter2-ing hunter2
<AzureDiamond> haha, does that look funny to you?
<Cthon98> lol, yes. See, when YOU type hunter2, it shows to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> thats neat, I didnt know IRC did that
<Cthon98> yep, no matter how many times you type hunter2, it will show
to us as *******
<AzureDiamond> awesome!
<AzureDiamond> wait, how do you know my pw?
<Cthon98> er, I just copy pasted YOUR ******'s and it appears to YOU as
hunter2 cause its your pw
<AzureDiamond> oh, ok.

Ok, maybe that one was the lower limit of stupidity... ;-)

regards,
--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience