KControl is missing?

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sat Feb 26 02:51:31 GMT 2005

On Saturday 26 February 2005 02:19, George Staikos wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 21:08, Frans Englich wrote:
> > On Friday 25 February 2005 23:05, George Staikos wrote:
> > > KControl seems to be missing from the K-Menu now (including in 3.4).
> > > Should this not be fixed for 3.4.0?
> >
> > I uninstalled KControl, let kbuildsycoca update, such that there was no
> > shortcut in the KMenu, and then installed: KControl showed up.
> >
> > Nothing looks wrong in the Makefile, perhaps your setup can give more
> > insight?
>
>   I spoke with Waldo and we found two KControl.desktop files installed.
> One had NoDisplay=true and I deleted that.  Then all was fine.

What is that file, KControl_NoDisplay.desktop, supposed to do? What differs it
from the normal one is it has NoDisplay=true, and no category, AFAICT. This
is the relevant Makefile.am snippet:

xdg_apps_DATA = KControl.desktop

install-data-local: KControl_NoDisplay.desktop
        $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(kde_appsdir)
        $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/KControl_NoDisplay.desktop
$(DESTDIR)$(kde_appsdir)/KControl.desktop
        @-rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(kde_bindir)/kinfocenter
        $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(kde_bindir)
        @$(LN_S) kcontrol $(DESTDIR)$(kde_bindir)/kinfocenter
        $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(kde_appsdir)/System
        $(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/kinfocenter.desktop
$(DESTDIR)$(kde_appsdir)/System/

Is this a remnant from hacking the "core" menu category, when it didn't exist?

Why have it come alive only on George's setup? ("Users, don't poke it..")

Cheers,

		Frans