GUI nitpicking, application initial size.

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Feb 25 17:31:53 GMT 2005

On Thursday 24 February 2005 21:36, Knut Morten Johansson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm not sure if this is to late or not regarding release and such, but here
> it is anyway. Lately there has been some good cleaning up, UI wise with the
> KControll and default fontsize issues. This is similar and goes to the
> initial start up size of the applications. Some apps have too small initial
> start up sizes, making the user re-size them before use. It's really a
> small thing and not a big problem, but it looks ugly and gives bad first
> impressions.
>
> I have done a quick test with CVS 2005-13-02, clean user directory and
> default settings.

Great!

> Following packages installed: arts, kdelibs, kdebase,
> kdenetwork, kdeutils, kdesdk, kdemulitmedia, kdegraphics(-Kuicshow),
> kdeartwork, kdeaddons, kdepim.
>
> Running the apps from the K menu on by one, I think these apps have wrong
> size(using the display windows geometry when moving, setting).
> Appname        -   initial size
> KUIViewer -   91x142 - Really ugly, have to be 240 wide to accommodated
>                                         menubar.

Fixed.

> KBabel -    - 623x498 - Need height of 532 to show statusbar
>                                         Making it 757 wide, tabs look better

It's 662x545 here. Statusbar looks ok. Tabs would look better if they were
wider indeed, no idea how to do that, seems to KDockWidget magic.

> Umbrello  - 630x460 - Splashscreen inside app, but most of it hidden
> outside application area. Real bug.

Patch attached, please review.

> Kview        - 400x265 - making it 475 wide-> one toolbar row

Fixed.

> Kolurpaint- 467x457 - increasing to 523x458, all tools fit inside window.

It's 545x463 here, which looks good. (Fixed already?)

> KPDF- initialize maximized-restore gives 390x214. 420x214 makes toolbar
> fit. Perhaps more to make the sidebar look better

Yes, I agree. I haven't fixed it though.

> KPovModeller- 342x482- 442x448makes toolbar/statusbar fit
>                                              recommend something like
> 640x500

Made it 800x600

> KIconEdit- 600x500 - 600x525 makes toolbar fit

Fixed.

> Agregator - 352x330 - 372x330 makes menubar fit
>                                         860x640 makes info screen fit.

Info screen has wrong colors in the upper right corner here.

Fixed size.

> Kontact- bug? starts with the left side toolwidget coplapsed.

> Korganizer - 428x576 - 485x570 makes toolbar fit
>                                           800x600 looks way better.

It's 853x682 here. (Fixed already?)

> KsysGuard - 784x270- 840x500 to make it more usable.

Fixed.

> KregExpeditor 754x356 - 760x500 toolbar fit/looks nicer

Weird code based on QDialog, not going to touch it.

> KSig - 168x409 -  303x409 makes tool/menubar fit
>                                 500x350 looks nicer.

Fixed.

> KDEhelcenter - 461x470 - Ned something like 800x600.

Fixed.

> Bookmark editor- 1144x522, it is actally maximized vertically by
>                                                  default, restor gievs
> 760x522

I don't see it being maximized.

Cheers,