thoughts on the systray

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Feb 21 15:56:01 GMT 2005

 Sorry for the delay. The last week wasn't exactly as boring as I had
expected.

On Monday 14 of February 2005 23:24, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > 4) Daemons, quick access, whatever
> > - This is stuff like alarmd (or whatever that systray icon KOrganizer
> > brings all the time is called), the several systray icons from SUSE
> > (susewatcher, suseplugger, profile switcher), and maybe even Klipper.
> > - Probably the best description of this case is that these are the things
> > that you usually don't want to see. I really don't care about alarmd as
> > long as there's no alarm,
>
> Yes, you use the correct wording "as long as there's no alarm".
>
> The one and only reason korgac has it's own systray icon is that it adds
> the ability to disable alarms temporarily. In particular, if you are giving
> a presentation or something like that, you don't want any reminders to pop
> up. And the system tray icon is the only place to achieve this.

 "And the system tray icon is the only place to achieve this" += "these days."
It doesn't have to be. The improved notification system I talked about could
take care of all this. In fact, while giving presentations, you probably also
don't want notifications from Kopete, warnings about low disk space, or
whatever. Are you going to click on every second systray icon to temporarily
disable it, or would you rather prefer to only switch to a different KNotify
profile? Which, moreover, could KPresenter even do automatically.

> The other feature available in the systray is to dismiss all alarm dialogs
> (if you went away on vacation for a few weeks, and hundreds of alarms
> popped up). That might just as well moved to a button inside each reminder
> dialog.

 Or the notification system could take care of this as well.

> And the final "feature" of korgac that is available only in the sys tray is

 Hmm, wasn't the one and only reason korgac has it's own systray icon the
ability to disable alarms temporarily ;) ?

> the possiblity to exit korgac. Compare this to evolution's data-server
> which will always stay running in the background (if you have started
> evolution once, the session management will take care of restarting, even
> if you never intend to run evolution again). The only way to kill it is
> doing an explicit kill PID.

 As already mentioned by others, we already have GUI for this, which
additionally doesn't take up panel space.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org