Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Josef Weidendorfer Josef.Weidendorfer at gmx.de
Mon Feb 21 15:25:23 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 February 2005 15:07, Michael Matz wrote:
> As you know I'm very fond of Makefile.am syntax.  The easy declarative
> one.  Not the local- targets, and not conditionals.  In fact I'm (like
> Dirk) more fond of an extremely restrictive syntax for the build
> description, not so much of the actual Makefile.am syntax itself (although
> I do like it).
> parse them).  OTOH, if we do this we could also stay with Makefile.am
> (restricted in some aspects, elaborated in others (like now)).

Hi,

Write a Makefile.am interpreter for Scons (and contribute to the Scons team),
which can cover 95% of our current Makefile.am's. For configure.in.in use
Scons instead. [The Scons FAQ already tells about the possibility to include
a Makefile interpreter.]
IDEs still touch Makefile.am only, people don't have to learn much new, and
existing Makefile.ams hopefully can rest almost untouched.

Is this feasable?

Josef