Using Wiki for KDE (User/Devel) Documentation

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Mon Feb 21 09:01:59 GMT 2005

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:11 pm, Jarosław Staniek wrote:
>
>>Last week, on #kexi we (me, Cédric Pasteur, Martin Ellis) had a small
>>discussion regarding a method of developing apps user documentation in a
>>way so also non-technical people, (usually not DocBook-fans), could easier
>>accept. I will refer to them as "Doc writers".
>
> There is no requirement for documentation writers to use DocBook. The KDE
> documentation team will take plain text.
>
> From http://i18n.kde.org/doc/gettingstarted.php:
> If you have no previous experience with DocBook, you should look at the
> resources mentioned below, and at some existing documentation. You will
> probably discover that DocBook is really not as hard as it looks. If you'd
> like to ease into things, we can accept plain ASCII text documentation and
> someone will mark it up for you. Please don't spend time marking things up in
> other formats, as we will unfortunately have to strip it to plain text before
> we can use it.
>
> I don't think that the problem is DocBook, and I don't see how a Wiki is
> really going to change the fundamental problem of people not volunteering to
> write manuals.

Yeah, people are not volunteering. But AFAIK, there are a number of people who
refuse to voluneer if the tools are harder than they can accept. Chances are
they can provide content using online tools. Perhaps they don't get that
"DocBook is really not as hard as it looks"?. That's quite interesting
because: at the time I am write this, people contribute tons of content to
Wikipedia and (if we're looking KDE-related example) wiki.kde.org ... (I know,
Wikipedia has a bit less polarized content).
Speaking about using wiki I also think about comments/tutorials/examples and
related content - everything what makes main documentation more valuable.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska / Kexi Team