kdepim/kontact/src

Gav gav at kde.org
Sun Feb 20 17:05:18 GMT 2005

(i hate to post to k-c-d with non-coding, pseudo-usability ranting, but i just
had to answer the previous post. this is the first and last i'll say on the
subject.)

>> Show sizeGrip Widget. Can we please add this to kmainwindow to have it
>> consistant? it doesn't cost a lot screen estate and eases resizing.

agree 100%.

> In fact this should *only* be a global descission.

agree.

> Personally I dislike the size grip, apart from looking ugly

the look is affected by the style. i'm sure there are styles available that
can cater for anyone's taste.

this however (as is witnessed by just about every graphical windowing
interface that has ever been) is a necessary tool for windowing systems. *

> , it indicates that I MUST drag in that corner to resize the window.

it does no such thing. a resize widget on windows that are resizable simply
gives the user a (in the general case, much needed) method for changing their
size. it's a suggestion, nothing more - the window border can still be used
to resize and the mouse cursor will change accordingly to demonstrate this to
the user that doesn't already know (if there are any).

> By making it global, it could also be a global option.

<sigh> yet more micro configurations :-/

> Personally, If I want to have a visual indication, I'd use a window border
> that provided one.

i agree that allowing the win decoration to change the style of the resize
widget would be good.

however afaik, this cannot be done simply since a window decoration has no
easy way of coordinating with the window's layout manager to make room for
the any necessary graphic. we can see the problem at work on some windecos
that provide an in built resize graphic -- any widget underneath the graphic
gets wiped out and the user loses some functionality. thus a widget is
currently surely the best solution.

gav

* i wrote some more "first-principles" rationale in bug #97438
--
Gav Wood <gav at kde.org>

"MATHS stands for Mathematic Anti-Telharsic Harfatum Septomin"
  -- Look Around You