[Kde-pim] small KMail emoticons problem

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Feb 20 16:42:49 GMT 2005

On Sunday 20 February 2005 16:33, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Sonntag 20 Februar 2005 15:54 schrieb Helge Deller:
> > no, please don't. I think experts which get those smileys in patch
> > files can disable it by themself. For the average joe user I think
> > it's nicer to have it enabled by default.
> >
> > Maybe Daniel's Idea to disable smileys in the "fixed-width" view is
> > a better idea.
>
> This makes a lot of sense - if it can be easily implemented. I just
> want an easy way to see the original, if it has to be in fixed font
> that is no problem.

I don't know why this is cooked up on kde-core-devel. Anyway, I already
told danimo on IRC that I don't want to receive bug reports a la
"emoticons don't work for me" to which I will have to reply "Do you
probably use a fixed-width font"?

I was told that some users prefer to use fixed-width font because of
ASCII art in message footers. Exactly those users will report the above
bug and that's why I won't implement it. If you want to see the
original then just press V.

In the next version we can add "Replace smileys" to the View menu. Then
you can simply add a keybinding and en-/disable the feature on the fly.

Last but not least, I've disabled replacement of the 8) smiley since
it's not only used in source code but also in enumerated lists in email
messages. 8-) still works though.

Regards,
Ingo