Subversion repository structure (was: trunk/kdeedu/klettres)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Feb 20 16:34:24 GMT 2005

Stephan Kulow wrote:
>I don't get why you want to move away from the logical groups to be
>"more svn friendly". It might be more friendly to subversion, but it
> surely is less friendly to _me_ - I would have to checkout tons more
> paths to do a KDE+extragear compilation.

extragear grouping is anything but logical. playground grouping is ok.

If you wanted to do KDE + extragear + KOffice compilation, you'd do this
in CVS:

for module in qt-copy arts kdesupport kdelibs kdebase kdepim kdenetwork
kdemultimedia kdeadmin kdeedu kdegames kdegraphics kdesdk kdetoys
kdeutils kdeartwork kdeextragear-1 kdeextragear-2 kdeextragear-3
kdeextragear-libs-1 kdeaddons koffice kdewebdev; do
  (cd $module; cvs up)
done

for module in qt-copy arts kdesupport kdelibs kdebase kdepim kdenetwork
kdemultimedia kdeadmin kdeedu kdegames kdegraphics kdesdk kdetoys
kdeutils kdeartwork kdeextragear-1 kdeextragear-2 kdeextragear-3
kdeextragear-libs-1 kdeaddons koffice kdewebdev; do
  cd $module
  make -f Makefile.cvs
  ./configure && \
  unsermake && \
  sudo unsermake install || break
  cd ..
done

What I am proposing with Subversion is:
cd trunk
svn up KDE extragear koffice
<commands for new build system>

Now, the playground modules are divided into logical groups. I like that
and this proposal doesn't account for that.

> And even though the next build
> system might not require admin/ I doubt k3b and amarok will use it too
> soon - as it will be KDE4 material.

True, which means that we'll have extragear/review/playground applications
-- as well as koffice and kdevelop -- that migrate from the KDE 3.x to
the 4.x build system at different times.

In this specific case, both k3b and amarok are in the same CVS module:
kdeextragear-1. If one switches and the other one doesn't, how does one
build the "module"? IMO, the applications that switch will have to be
moved somewhere else in the repository, until that leaves empty modules,
which can then be erased.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.