Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Sun Feb 20 03:31:34 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 6:46 am, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 February 2005 23:23, David Faure wrote:
> > I haven't seen it happen (despite the warning in
> > the Makefile.am) so either no KDE CVS developers uses KDevelop (which
> > I doubt), or, more likely, the "import Makefile.am" feature works.
>
> In KDevelop2 days when everything was stored in the KDevelop project
> format you could loose your data (so the warnings are from really old
> Makefile.am-s). But with KDevelop3 this is not
> anymore the case just because it can handle with the rules in
> Makefile.am and doesn't need to store the build information in an own
> format which later overwrites your Makefile.am. I think this was a big
> step forward in the acceptance and usability of KDevelop and would be
> bad if we loose this feature.
>
> Andras

Way off topic here, but that is really cool.  I remember way back (1998) using
KDevelop and when it would screw up my project.kdevelop file there would be
no way to fix the project and more often then not I would just make a new
project and import the files.  But after a few months of this I sat down and
learned enough to get by on the command line ( no borked files, no crashes
that distroy everything) and have been a vim man ever sense.

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox
Public Key: http://www.icefox.net/public_key.asc