Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Adam Treat manyoso at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 16:54:38 GMT 2005

On Saturday 19 February 2005 11:25 am, Kevin Puetz wrote:
> that's the right place. But a build system that has a real programming
> language is going to be nigh impossible to automatically edit, so the fact
> that it becomes essentially read-only to IDEs is a tradeoff to be
> considered...

Uhm, I think it is not a tradeoff that can even be remotely considered.
KDevelop's users will scream bloody murder if they lose the functionality to
edit their build system through a convenient GUI and rightly so.  Every other
IDE in existence has this ability, so if the greater project decides to go
this way, KDevelop will have to continue with QMake or Auto* based templates.

KDevelop3's ability to integrate with regular KDE cvs projects as a major
plus.  It would be a shame to see that go away.