Subversion problems

Charles Samuels charles at kde.org
Fri Feb 18 19:32:19 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 7:25, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > The disk space lost is the least of our concerns IMO:
>
> Right, subversion checkout is slower and also commit and update. But I
> don't think it's such a big problem and I surely hope the subversion
> developers will find more ways to improve it. And checkout isn't really the
> most often action and the update should be faster.

Absolutely, Stephan, however I think it's important that we not forget that
subversion isn't the "superior" option just like that, that there are going
to be huge disadvantages (many of which we don't know of yet I imagine).  I
would like us to please not rush this change and be willing to delay it until
the svn people add features or fix bugs that may hinder our use of it.

As an aside, I think the "a branch is just a copy into another directory" is a
silly method.  You could have O(1) branching with a cvs-style branch-tag, and
the svn developers chose not to.  I really don't like that.

-Charles