(Solaris) Future of KDE Development

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Fri Feb 18 14:39:53 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 15:14, Hans Meine wrote:
> On Friday 18 February 2005 09:06, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> > it's very big. it's almost impractical at this point -- noone sane
> > will want to go through the hassle of applying them one by one.
>
> I am starting to look through them.  (I am compiling with GCC, obviously
> Sun's Forte makes more problems.)  The first patches I inspected contain
> just too many unnecessary changes to say anything about whether there are
> useful changes in there, too.  Quoting stuff I saw so far:

OK, let's get medieval on this stuff then. I'm running through KDE CVS HEAD
now on a Solaris 2.9 box (that I don't admin, so everything goes into
a /vol/kde/) .. for some values of "now", since it's still compiling openssl
& stuff (then qt, then arts, then ...). gcc 2.95.3.

> arts/flow/gsl/gslglib.h/cpp:
>   internal GSL stuff replaced with #include <glib.h> - unnecessary
> arts/mcop/trader_impl.cc:
>   "using namespace std" replaced with std:: prefixes - unnecessary

OK, I'll notice it when I get there. I remember from compiling KDE 3.1, 3.2
and 3.3 (didn't finish that one, due to trying to use a systemwide gcc 3.3
which was polluted with SUNSW@ symbols that I couldn't figure out) that there
wasn't _too_ much fundamental weirdness there.

> arts/soundserver/artsd.cc:
>   this is interesting signal/syslimits stuff, should obviously be
> integrated with #ifdef's

Kay.

> arts/soundserver/samplestorage_impl.cc:
>   even better - this could be compatible changes (c vs. c++ headers,
> direntry handling), I am not sure
> arts/soundserver/soundserver_impl.cc.diff:
>   "No differences encountered" ;-)

> The only problem I had to work around was that with AC_SYS_LARGEFILE - this
> makes standard headers #define truncate to truncate64, which renders e.g.
> QString::truncate() unusable.  I simply hacked kdenetwork/configure.in.in
> accordingly, which is the only configure.in.in which still had this problem
> (this was worse before).

Yup, that's the biggest pain in the ass, dealing with those stupid #defines.
Can you mail me (privately) the patch for it so I can apply here as well?

--
These are your friends - Adem
    GPG: FEA2 A3FE Adriaan de Groot