HIG (Future of KDE Development)

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Fri Feb 18 11:56:25 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 12:23 am, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 18 February 2005 01:05, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 February 2005 9:20 pm, Richard Moore wrote:
> > > Ok - rather than talk in the abstract I'll present two different
> > > use cases, and if IDEAL can support them both then there's no
> > > problem (assuming I don't need to click 10 million things to
> > > configure it so that these happen).
> > >
> > > 1. I use paintshop pro a lot. I frequently need to have a large
> > > number of images visible at the same time either to compare them,
> > > or because I'm using them to edit fragments of images that I stick
> > > together later to make a single image. In this example having lots
> > > of pseudo-toplevel widgets inside the app makes a lot of sense and
> > > is very easy to use.
> > >
> > > 2. I frequently use ksirc to have several different chat channels
> > > open. I want each to use the full space allocated to the window and
> > > I want to be able to switch between them quickly.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Rich.
> >
> > I have a patch for kwin that will raise all windows from the same
> > application when you click on one window.  Needs some some pollish,
> > but I have been using it for a few months.  So when using Gimp,
> > ksirc, or the new Qt Designer in Qt4 when I click on one window in
> > the application the rest raise up. Personally I don't know why we
> > didn't have this all along.
>
> Probably because it breaks if all those windows are not next to each
> other, but on top of each other (at least overlapping)?
>
> Assume you have two windows A and B. B is in front of A hiding it
> partially. Now you want to bring A to the front. You click on it. kwin
> raises A, then kwin raises B. Result: A is not in front.
>
> This isn't an academic example. If you have multiple images open in Gimp
> then it's very unlikely that the windows don't overlap.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

Nope, no problem here.  It works like this:

Assume you have two windows A and B, both from the same application. B is in
front of A hiding it partially. Now you want to bring A to the front. You
click on it. kwin raises _B_, then kwin raises A. Result: A is in front.

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox
Public Key: http://www.icefox.net/public_key.asc