HIG (Future of KDE Development)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Feb 18 00:23:49 GMT 2005

On Friday 18 February 2005 01:05, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 9:20 pm, Richard Moore wrote:
> > Ok - rather than talk in the abstract I'll present two different
> > use cases, and if IDEAL can support them both then there's no
> > problem (assuming I don't need to click 10 million things to
> > configure it so that these happen).
> >
> > 1. I use paintshop pro a lot. I frequently need to have a large
> > number of images visible at the same time either to compare them,
> > or because I'm using them to edit fragments of images that I stick
> > together later to make a single image. In this example having lots
> > of pseudo-toplevel widgets inside the app makes a lot of sense and
> > is very easy to use.
> >
> > 2. I frequently use ksirc to have several different chat channels
> > open. I want each to use the full space allocated to the window and
> > I want to be able to switch between them quickly.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Rich.
>
> I have a patch for kwin that will raise all windows from the same
> application when you click on one window.  Needs some some pollish,
> but I have been using it for a few months.  So when using Gimp,
> ksirc, or the new Qt Designer in Qt4 when I click on one window in
> the application the rest raise up. Personally I don't know why we
> didn't have this all along.

Probably because it breaks if all those windows are not next to each
other, but on top of each other (at least overlapping)?

Assume you have two windows A and B. B is in front of A hiding it
partially. Now you want to bring A to the front. You click on it. kwin
raises A, then kwin raises B. Result: A is not in front.

This isn't an academic example. If you have multiple images open in Gimp
then it's very unlikely that the windows don't overlap.

Regards,
Ingo