Future of KDE Development

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Thu Feb 17 02:56:15 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 6:32 pm, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 14 February 2005 08:07, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > - Change to subversion
> > - Qt4 port
> > - Windows port
> > - Build system change (as related to the above and more)
> > - Switch to standard gettext
> > - DCOP changes (DBUS was discussed)
> > - Change of soundsystem layer
> > - Further cleanup of our API (there are already tons of KDE4 comments)
>
>  - complete the HIG and ensure all apps shipped with KDE comply with it
>
> i'd like to see UI review become part of the standard operating procedures
> for apps in KDE4 that ship as part of KDE. if we can get the HIG completed
> and adopted by the time libs is ready for apps to be seriously ported to
> it, then we can do these things in tandem. i think this is doable.

On the idea of making a freeze for UI I think it would be a good one.  Even if
ui exports don't get around to looking at every application developers would
be at least thinking about their ui some more and making any fixes that they
see.  It would also raise awareness of what they should be looking for.

-Benjamin Meyer

--
aka icefox
Public Key: http://www.icefox.net/public_key.asc