Build system (was Re: Future of KDE Development)

Stanislav Karchebny berk at upnet.ru
Wed Feb 16 18:47:18 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 21:11, mETz wrote:

> I don't know anything about python and looking at scons doesn't create the
> wish to change that.

I second that. After looking at some scons scripts I didn't find them too
convincing; especially for developer concentrated on getting his code
delivered, not fighting with buildsystem - and for trivial cases cost of
autohell setup is much lower than that of scons unless you blindly copy-paste
SConstruct files (at least I can setup autostuff to build my dir without
looking into documentation every two minutes, and new buildsystem should
allow exactly that - see below).

Probably forking off cmake into kmake and adding stuff like
ADD_KPART(akregatorpart akregatorpart.cpp blahblahblah) would be the most
efficient way to go (you don't have to learn anything - just look at single
kmake manual page for "KPart building" and off you go).

As general buildsystem maintenance is done by a limited number of people now,
they would probably stay behind kmake's configuration abilities support,
given their expertise in this area. kmake itself can be added to some
kdebuild package that is created before the rest of kde and installs kmake
and maybe some other support scripts.

what do you think?

--
keep in touch. berkus.

Roey on #kde-devel: when I hear best of breed I tune out--it's too much a
buzzword. What I carry between my legs is best of breed. And like KDE, just
because it's less visible doesn't mean it gets less usage.