HIG (Future of KDE Development)

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Wed Feb 16 11:28:11 GMT 2005

<zitiere wer="Matt Rogers">
> i still think there is a need for all those modes, mostly because they're
> not
> implemented anywhere else, and people still want to use them.
I don't think a new kmdi should include any mode selection like the current,
it should provide one consistent mdi mode, like idea is, with enhancements,
but not the others, they would break any HIG, with current kmdi there is
no consistent mdi handling, and looking at the applications using it, me
thinks almost all just use IDEA (or would use it, if it would be a little
enhanced, like Andras mentioned). This would limit the faults of the
implementation, btw.,
and really, does kde want toplevel, tabframe and childframe modes? at
least childframe is known to be evil usability wise, tabframe is worse
than IDEA (if IDEA would be fixed) and toplevel isn't at all consistent
with current HIG I guess, considering the free floating win with only
toolbar + menubar and toplevel doc windows.

> If you and Andras (or anybody else for that matter), have ideas,
> suggestions,
> or issues you want to discuss with me regarding kmdi for KDE 4, then we
> need
> to have a chat on irc or something, because otherwise, i'm just going to
> do
> with kmdi what i think is best and the people that actually use it will
> probably hate me for it. ;)
sure :) (at least for me :), btw., guess some kmdi-devel list should be
created, btw. for the kmdi bugs and for further disscussion/development,
or, than the users of kmdi would have better place for it?