Future of KDE Development

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Tue Feb 15 02:16:15 GMT 2005

Charles Samuels wrote:
>I'm concerned that kdelibs will change a lot, leaving applications with
> a moving target to develop against.  I would like to see kdelibs
> stabilized somewhat before we start developing against it outright.
>
>Currently kdelibs doesn't change very much, which makes things very
> pleasant to develop against for both us and our 3rd party developers.

I believe this is what Coolo meant when he said kdelibs HEAD
(/trunk/kdelibs) would be Qt4, while other modules would be Qt3.

In other words:
- /trunk/kdelibs goes Qt4
- /trunk/everything_else still Qt3/kdelibs-3.4
- We'd have a branch for people working on porting non-kdelibs for
Qt4/kdelibs4
- when /trunk/kdelibs stabilises enough, we'll start moving other modules
to Qt4, merging the branches
at that point in time, kdelibs4 should be less moving a target.

I'm not saying kdelibs4 should feature-freeze or fix its binary
compatibility too early. I'm just saying that it should get a chance to
stabilise first.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.